Sunday, November 14, 2010

Simulation


I think that Peacemaker is a great learning tool. I got a little too into it today and spent a good portion of my afternoon playing it.  I experimented with both violence and diplomacy, yet each time I tried the simulation, it resulted in the Third Intifada. As a highly competitive person, I wanted to keep playing until I was able to reach peace. I’d get very close and then there would be one tiny thing that would throw off the entire peace process.  This is an accurate representation of how things work in the Middle East, since even small actions can have large consequences on the peace process.  

It was difficult for me to make some of the decisions, particularly when I was trying to take the diplomatic route. I didn’t want to lose approval from either side so I tended to play it safe with my decisions. By not taking direct action, I ended up not being the strongest leader (which the game told me each time I lost!) 

The simulation builds upon what we have learned through course readings and class discussions; by playing the simulation, I was able to put what I have learned to practical use. I wouldn’t say that I learned any substantive information from the simulation, but it was definitely a good way to see how different actions affect the peace process. While it is a nice break from staring at a textbook, the simulation is an effective learning tool because it makes the conflict seem more real to people not directly impacted by it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment